I get some proposals for work that only include screen wireframes. While these are helpful, they often only tell half the story. If you are sending out wireframes, here’s a list of some additional things to think about…
- What’s the flow between the wireframes?
- Which elements of the screen are static (never change) and which are dynamic? If dynamic, where does the data come from?
- Which elements (e.g. menus) are dependent on the app state and for these, how does the appearance change with the app state?
- At what point exactly, does the app contact the server for data?
- In what ways can the user control (when, how – WiFi, 3G) interaction with the server?
- What happens exactly when the user interacts with each of the widgets/controls?
- What error messages are given (and where) when something goes wrong (for both expected user error and unexpected app errors)?
- What are the validation criteria for the input of data?