The Wall Street Journal has a great article today on "Here Come Tablets. Here Come Problems". They provide a rundown of the five largest mistakes companies are making…
- Failing to have a plan before rolling out the devices
- Not understanding what tablets are—and are not—good for
- Expecting to easily obtain all the apps you need
- Thinking tablets are cheaper than laptops
- Misjudging the ease of support and security
From a developer viewpoint, I am seeing the need for variants of the OS (iOS and Android) that provide more control over what’s installed and used on the devices. There’s a growing need to use these devices for captive or ‘kiosk’ type solutions that remove many of the facilities expected by typical non-business consumer.