Today I came across a recent Gartner press release where they identify "10 Mistakes That Lead to Mobile Customer Service Failure". While the mistakes are mentioned within the context of a customer service application, I see them as applicable to any kind of app…
- Violation of the "three-click/tap/press" rule
- Difficulty with ergonomics, especially text input
- Not reusing learned behaviors — such as soft keys, navigation
- Violating "security 101."
- Difficulty with navigation
- Burying most important functions
- Incorrect or illegible display of text or graphics
- Inability to revise mistakes
- Content visibility
- Resource inefficiency
This list of mistakes, described in more detail in the press release, provides a useful "flight check" before embarking on a mobile app. I also have some missed requirements and programming complexity requirements that you might also use as flight checks.