Benedict Evans has a great post on ‘Mass-market use cases’ where he observes that our own experiences aren’t necessarily the mass-market experience. He gives the example of how most people don’t make international calls and a lot of people don’t even know anyone in another country.
However, what does this mean for mobile developers? Here are some thoughts…
- Not everyone has the same phone as the CEO. Survey your intended users.
- Not everyone has an Android or iOS smartphone. Should you really be using a ‘download our app’ call to action in advertising?
- Not everyone has good eyesight. Look into your tap areas.
- Not everyone understands the need to wait for things to download. Look into slow download times and latency.
- Not everyone is on unlimited data. Think about data usage.
- No matter how hard you try, not everyone will understand the UI. Think about focus groups and/or using analytics to detect and remove customer frustrations to retain users.