Openxcell has a useful new article on Analytics tools. They classify analytics as being used for a range of purposes…
- Advertising and Marketing Analytics
- Cross-platform Comparison Analytics
- In-App Analytics and Behavioral Analytics
- Performance Analytics
- Visitor Analytics
- Visual Analytics
… and then go on to list the 40 best mobile analytics tools.
However, how do you choose the best tool for your specific circumstances? Here are what I think are some considerations…
- Functionality – does the tool do what you need?
- Data protection – Does the tool ‘leak’ information you or your users might not want sharing?
- Security – How secure is their API? Might it introduce vulnerabilities? Does this matter? (it depends on your kind of app)
- Usability – How useful is the web UI?
- Cost – How much does it cost now and in the future for your anticipated user base?
- Survivorship – Will the company be around as long as your app? What happens if the company were to close or get taken over? Who owns the data?